Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Microsoft Vista

Woohoo, Vista is going to be released tomorrow. In case anyone is wondering which version to get, the following is the definitive guide! (Click picture to enlarge, from Joy of Tech.)

Anyway, I built a Core 2 Duo system last month, and paid more than $200 for Windows XP Pro. They'll send me a Vista upgrade in supposedly 6-8 weeks, and I'll need to pay a postage fee of $27...

Update(!): Vista arrived on Feb 4th. So far everything looks fine and loads very quickly, the Help system has been greatly enhanced, and the interface has been improved, with the exception of the presentation of the programs list that appear after All Programs is selected. I prefer the old, more 'chaotic, but usable' presentation. Drivers are not out yet for some components, which I find quite incredible given the fact that the Beta has been out for months...

5 comments:

voyager said...

tried installing it on my existing Parallels XP configuration.

got stalled at the 'hardware configuration' check screen :-( it said config wasn't supported (and this was for 'Home Basic'

mebbe i should try an install on a fresh partition :-P

jeffyen said...

Hmm... I know very little about parallel stuff, might this be relevant?

voyager said...

i've done a little more reading and i now know that the Vista EULA is constructed to not permit installations of Home Basic on virtual environments :-P

DK said...

Like what the comic says, you should get MacOS X. :D

jeffyen said...

But the Mac has a one-button mouse. I don't know how to use that! ahhaha ;p